Not sure what you're looking for?

Call one of our experts


Separation & Divorce

We’ve been serving Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley with exceptional separation and divorce services for over 25 years. It’s our expertise. We’re ready to help.

Contact Us to Get Started

Separation versus Divorce

Separation happens when you and your spouse cease living in a marriage-like relationship. Divorce happens when a judge grants an Order that officially terminates a marriage.


Grounds for Divorce

In British Columbia, separation and divorce are governed by both federal and provincial laws. Canada has “no-fault” divorce in that one spouse does not have to prove wrongdoing, although you do have to indicate what your reasons are to determine when you are eligible to file.

If you file on the grounds of separation, you and your spouse must live apart for at least a year. If you are filing due to violence, abuse or adultery in the relationship, you may do so immediately. It is possible to be separated while still living under the same roof.


Resolving Issues other than Divorce

Even if you and your former partner have not been separated for a full year and therefore are not qualified to legally divorce, you can still resolve the balance of the outstanding issues between you, including property division, parenting arrangements and support. This can be done by way of a Separation Agreement or Court Order.


Cohabitation and Non-Married Spouses

It is important to note that under the British Columbia Family Law Act, the definition of “spouse” extends to non-married persons who have been living in a marriage-like relationship for at least two years. While divorce is not applicable to non-married spouses, the majority of the law that applies to married spouses is still applicable. Furthermore, in British Columbia, there is no difference in treatment under the law for same-sex spouses, whether married or non-married.


It's Our Expertise

Separation and Divorce is our specialty, and we’re ready to help you right away.

Contact Us to Get Started

Guardianship, Custody & Parenting Time

Your children mean the world to you. We can help you set up a parenting arrangement that ensures their best interests are being protected.

Spousal & Child Support

Spousal support and child support are similar, but they’re treated differently in Canada. We understand those nuances, allowing us to best represent your case.

Property Division

You and your former partner likely accumulated property and wealth, whether large or small, during your relationship. We’re experts at fighting for what is rightly yours.